The Town of Newbury, Vermont occupies the northwestern corner of our region and is comprised of 3 distinct villages, each of which has its own governing body for strictly local issues. There are also 3 post offices.

This area is blessed with extremely fertile farmland and is still populated with productive farms. The Town of Newbury overlooks the Connecticut River from an elevation of approximately 600 feet and provides stunning panoramic views to the east of the White Mountains. The town was the terminus of the Bayley Hazen Military Road.

Newbury Village
Wells River
West Newbury

Newbury Village

Post Office: Newbury 05051
Village Population: 430 (2009)
Village Clerk: Liz Drugach  (802)-866-5395
Village Office: Historic Bailey Club Building, 5209 Main Street South, Newbury, VT
Village Mailing Address: PO Box 6, Newbury, VT  05051
Village Statistics:
Wikipedia Entry: Newbury, VT

Newbury Village is located on the Great Oxbow of the Connecticut River in Vermont between the Town of Bradford and the Village of Wells River. Just north of Newbury Village is the Oxbow Historic District. The Oxbow Historic District is an excellent example of a small agricultural settlement containing well-preserved examples of Georgian, Federal, and Greek Revival style residences complemented by numerous barns and agricultural outbuildings. It is the site of the earliest settlement in Newbury.

There is a bridge that spans the Connecticut River to New Hampshire in Newbury.

Village of Wells River

Post Office: Wells River 05081
Village Population: 340
Village Statistics:
Wikipedia Entry: Wells River, VT
Historical Tour

Village of West Newbury

Post Office: West Newbury 05085
Village Population: 188

County: Orange
State Vermont
Post Office:  Newbury 05041
Town Population: 1955
Town Clerk: Nikki Tomlinson, 802-866-5521
Town WEB Site:
School: Newbury Elementary School 802-866-5621
Library: Tenney Memorial Library 802-866-5366

Newbury was originally granted to Jacob Bayley who named the town Newbury, after his erstwhile home in Newbury, Massachusetts. The Village presents a magnificent display of flowering crab apple trees in the Spring.

Horace W. Bailey Club

On the right look for a small brick building bearing the legend Horace W. Bailey Club. Built in 1839 as a schoolhouse, it later became a millinery shop until, in 1904, it was bought by Horace Bailey to house his private library. After Mr. Bailey’s death the building had a number of uses before being acquired by the town in 1969. In 1973, a tornado blew in the front wall causing much damage. Now restored, the building is used for meetings by many town groups.