A small town with a farming heritage located on the Connecticut River in Grafton County, western New Hampshire. According to the 2010 Census, our population is about 790, but during the summer and fall months that increases significantly due to its seasonal residents and the two nationally renowned summer camps, Camp Walt Whitman and Kingswood Camp for Boys. The Town boasts a large number of small home-based businesses and farm stores, all of which thrive and enjoy the rural location.

County: Grafton
State: New Hampshire
Population: 1044
Post Office: Piermont 03779
Town Clerk: Bernadette Ratel 603-272-4840
Town WEB Site: http://townofpiermontnh.org/
Police: 603-272-9351     Emergency dial 911
School: Piermont Village School  603-272-5881
Library: Piermont Public Library 603-272-4967

Situated on the Connecticut River just west of the White Mountain National Forest, this town’s name is taken from Piedmont in the Italian Alps, a re-spelling of the Italian Piemonte. The town is home to Lake Tarleton, which once was on the property of Colonel William Tarleton. The Colonel kept a tavern in Piermont, fought in the Revolution, was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1791, and a member of the presidential Electoral College in 1804.


Round Barn

This barn, which is actually 16-sided, was built in 1906 and is one of the last remaining round barns in New Hampshire.

Stay on NH Route 10 south and continue to the crossroads in the middle of the village of Piermont – approximately 3 miles (4.8 kilometers).



Just beyond the village crossroads on the right, the Parsonage was begun in 1882 thanks to a gift of $1000 from Deacon A.P. Gould.


Old Church

Next door to the parsonage stands the Old Church. Now a town meeting place, the structure was originally built in 1807 as a Congregational church; the building was sold to the Methodists in 1856. In 1908, the church was modernized to include electricity and eight beautiful memorial windows were installed.


Piermont Fire Department

Just across the street from the Old Church, it is not the building that is of interest but the department’s history. It was founded in the 1930s when blacksmith Bert French converted an old Cadillac truck into the first Piermont fire engine.


Piermont Library

Erected in the 1830’s, this building now houses not only the library but the Selectmen’s and Town Clerk’s offices and the Piermont Historical Society as well.


Evans House

Turn back and go north on NH Route 10, to the crossroads, and turn left (west) on NH Route 25. Across the road on the right, the building with the mansard roof is now known as the Evans House, but this 1790 building was originally owned by the Greely family. It was purchased by tin shop and grocery store owners Robert A. and Mary Evans in 1832. The mansard roof on the house was added at a later date. Records show that at one time the Evans owned a slave, Tom Waterman, whom they later freed.


Piermont Town Hall

Just beyond the Evans house is the former town hall. Though now a private residence, the building was used for town meetings until as late as 1993. The structure was built in 1863 in the Greek Revival style.


Piermont Inn

A short distance further, at the corner of NH Route 25 and Church Street, is this inn. The exact date of the inn’s construction is not known, but in 1790 the town selectmen gave Doctor Ross Coon of Haverhill Corner permission to operate the building as a tavern (known as the Dodge Tavern).


Piermont Post Office

Across the road from the inn is the post office. Built in 1814, the building has been, variously, a general store and a post office.


Congregational Church

If you wish to see the Congregational Church, continue up Church Street where, on the left, is the church built in 1836 and, to its left, the parsonage built in 1865. Afterwards return to NH Route 25. Continue west on Route 25 to its junction, on the right, with River Road – approximately 1.3 miles (2.1 kilometers).


Sawyer/Medlicott House

On the left, opposite River Road , stands a brick house. All the woodwork in this house is beautifully fluted and there is wonderful wainscoting but perhaps its most striking interior feature is its circular stairway rising from a spacious hall. Also of special interest is the fact that the bricks to build the house were manufactured on site.


All tour information provided by Larry Coffin. Check out his In Times Past blog.